Credit: State Archives of Florida, Ozzie Sweet, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/82983
Tag Archives: beaches
The National Park Service is initiating an ORV (off-road vehicle) plan for Outer Banks (NC) beaches. This new regulation will go into effect on February 15, 2012. Some things you need to know before you go:
- An ORV permit will be required from now on.
- Every vehicle must have an ORV permit. No piggybacking off someone
- else’s permit.
- You must not exceed the speed limit, which is 15mph, unless otherwise posted.
- There are two types of permits issues: ($50) weekly and ($120) annually. Note: No day rate but there is limited access on Hatteras and Ocracoke beaches.
- The permits may be obtained at NPS offices during normal business hours, seven days a week, (but not prior to 2/15/12) at :
- Bodie Island at the north end of the Coquina Beach parking lot (8101 NC 12 Highway, Nags Head, NC);
- Hatteras Island by the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Visitor Center (46368 Lighthouse Road, Buxton, NC);
- Ocracoke Island by the NPS visitor center (40 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC).
You must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle registration. You will be required to fill out a form, pay the money, and watch a brief educational video.
The permit must be prominently displayed on your vehicle while engaging in off-road driving. Maps are available that show designated ORV areas at the permit offices and OB visitor centers, as well as on their website, www.nps.gov/caha
For more information, call 252-473-2111 or visit the park website at: www.nps.gov/caha.
Do the Florida Keys really have it all?
They do! Jimmy Buffett has the right idea. We learned all about the best restaurants, best beaches, and best coffee in the Florida Keys yesterday during the first #flkeys chat.
We met so many great people and got some wonderful ideas about dining and beaches. I was just blown away by the participation, thanks everybody! Claudia Miller (@KeysClaudia) was a fabulous host and shared many wonderful pics. We talked about Bahia Honda, the Dry Tortugas, Sombrero Beach, Coco Plum, and Zachary Taylor. We also learned about Seven Fish’s great meatloaf, Hawks Cay Resort’s flaming coffee, and key lime margaritas. This is the link to the Storify archive and here’s a video recap:
We can’t wait till next month’s chat on Feb 29th at 2p EST. Use hashtag #flkeys to participate. Won’t you join us?
This is phrase that brought a visitor to our site recently. I thought it was a great phrase and it gave me an idea.
Wouldn’t it be fun to share with everyone what you recently saw on a Florida beach?
I’d love for you to share pics or stories about something you recently saw on a Florida beach. You can do this by commenting here or sending pics to us via Facebook or Twitter. I look forward to hearing from everyone! (Let’s keep this G-rated of course!)